Welcome to St Leonard’s Church Brighton
We continue to be an open, diverse, church as we emerge from Covid lockdown
Welcome to St Leonard’s Uniting Church
We are enthusiastic about vital worship and exploring and applying our faith in Jesus. Come, visit and perhaps decide that this is a soul place for you. If it is harder for you to come you can join our live streamed services. We would like you to feel “at home” at St Leonard’s.
On the first Sunday each month we have a one service at 10:00am
On the other Sundays we have two services –
At 9:15am a Liturgical Service
At 10:45am New Wave contemporary service.
Our worship services are live streamed. You can watch our services live (or later) by going to St Leonard’s Church on Youtube or Facebook. (see links below).
visit our facebook page
watch our youtube videos
Synod Crosslight Magazine
Presbytery “Newsbeat” magazine
Playgroup will not be on Wednesday 16 June because of uncertainty about Covid and our desire to ensure safety.
We hope to be restarting on Wednesday 23 June from 10:30 to 12:00. Contact Margaret for details
Next Messy Church is Sunday 27 June starting at 4:30pm
Messy Church is fantastic! Kids and helpers worked together to make things happen.
Last Messy Church we made walking sheep. Then we talked about Jesus’ story about sheep being protected by a shepherd. God cares about us too. Then we had a meal together.
You can be part of Messy Church each month. We all have a great time together.
Position Description: Pastoral Assistant
This position is for a person to assist the Minister and congregation in providing pastoral support and faith formation of families connected with St Leonard’s Uniting Church, Brighton Beach. It is a part-time, limited tenure (6 month) position while the congregation determines how best we can engage with people of all ages as we come out of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The appointee is required to work alongside the minister and the St Leonard’s leadership team to provide pastoral assistance for families – parents, grandparents, and children – with a significant worship planning component.It is expected that the successful applicant will be committed to the Christian faith, able to set priorities and work to meet deadlines.
This position is responsible to the Secretary of Church Council of St Leonard’s Uniting Church and initially for up to 6 months. It is 0.4 of a fulltime position (15 hours per week) with the expectation that the person will have an active role in worship most Sundays.
St Leonard’s Uniting Church is a vibrant and diverse worshipping community, situated in the suburb of Brighton Beach, Melbourne. Currently there are two congregations on a Sunday morning and both congregations worship together at 10am on the first Sunday of the month. The Liturgical congregation (traditional/modern) worship on the 2nd to 5th Sundays of the month at 9.15 am. The New Wave Contemporary service is on 2nd to 5th Sundays at 10.30am and includes Sunday School for school-aged children except on the 4th Sunday of the month when Messy Church is held at 4.30pm. There is also a playgroup that meets on a Wednesday morning as an outreach to the local community for toddlers and their carers.
In 2020 live streaming of a Sunday worship service was introduced and this is creating new opportunities for engaging with the wider community. The Church Council recognises the need for flexibility in determining the responsibilities of the position and is aware that a Pastoral Assistant will bring their own special gifts to the position.
All people who are involved in any of the Church’s activities, events or programs have a right to feel and be safe. St Leonard’s Church is committed to provide safe environments where families and other vulnerable persons are cared for, respected, nurtured and sustained. Employment in this role is subject to a current Working with Children Check, and other relevant safe-church requirements.
The Minister in Placement is the Rev Kim Cain, and the Pastoral Assistant will work with him in providing opportunities for faith development during the New Wave worship service, as well as pastoral care with families and their children, as we transition to a new “COVID normal” environment.
- The Pastoral Assistant will be responsible for providing regular reports on their activity to the Pastoral Care team and Church Council on the pastoral support and faith formation that they provide.
- The Pastoral Assistant will work with the lay leaders involved in ministry with families (parents and their young children)
- The Pastoral Assistant must abide by the Uniting Church in Australia’s Code of Ethics and Ministry Practice for people engaged in professional ministry. Training is available in this area if required.
- This position is responsible to the Church Council of St Leonard’s Uniting Church. It is 0.4 of a fulltime position (15 hours per week) with the expectation that the person will be involved in worship on a Sunday (subject to leave requirements).
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Building relationships of care with families involved in such programs as Sunday School, Messy Church, and the Playgroup, that affirms these people’s involvement with St Leonard’s Church.
- Providing pastoral support to parents in family life and stresses
- Attending and contributing to New Wave Contemporary worship services and Messy Church.
- Using the understandings derived from their pastoral relationships to contribute to the worship planning input for the ongoing evolution of the New Wave service and /or worship development exploration, to enrich people’s faith.
- Demonstrates strong relational skills with an ability to connect positively with families and their children and provide meaningful pastoral care.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to the Christian faith with a desire to engage positively with others on matters of faith.
- Demonstrates an awareness of the challenges of family life and issues in contemporary society.
- Demonstrates an ability to work collaboratively as well as independently.
- Demonstrates initiative, reliability, and flexibility to a high degree.
- Demonstrates an awareness and ability to implement OHS processes involved in working with children and families.
The position could be for either a lay or ordained person. It is for an initial period of up to 6 months.
- Applications, with the names of two referees, should be sent to the Secretary of the Church Council, St Leonard’s Uniting Church, 2 Wolseley Grove Brighton 3186, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be treated confidentially and processed as received.
- For further information Rev Kim Cain can be contacted on 0419373123
For background information please use the following links
- St Leonard’s Uniting Church http://www.stleonards.org.au/; St Leonard’s Uniting Church – YouTube
- UCA Safe Church policy https://ucavictas.org.au/keepingchildrensafe/
- UCA Code of Ethics https://www.victas.uca.org.au/aboutus/Documents/Code%20of%20Ethics%20(2012%20ed).pdf
- UCA Basis of Union https://assembly.uca.org.au/basis-of-union-1971-1992
St Leonard’s Uniting Church
2 Wolseley Grove, Brighton 3186 Australia
03 9592 9333
BSB 033055 A/c 860789